Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Baby Guts and Mika Miko Break-Up, Strange Boys Tour
Memorable RRRRRIot grrrl punk bands are hard to come by in this day and age.
The world sucks a little harder whenever I am forced to report the break-ups of truly great bands. So good-bye, Minneapolis' own Baby Guts and LA's punk heroes Mika Miko. Thanks for the music!
I saw Mika Miko play exactly three times and they were wonderful and energetic and everything I ever want in a live punk rock band. The photos found here were taken by me a couple years back in New York City. They stole shows. They will be missed.
I never saw Baby Guts play live. Dammit. But they put out a sick, underrated record, The Kissing Disease, on Guilt Ridden Pop Records. It was number 14 on the WMUA 91.1FM DJ's 2008 Top 20 Rock Records Countdown.
There are exactly 2 silver linings to this otherwise depressing news.
1. Jenna from Mika Miko joined one of my favorite bands, The Strange Boys. Hear her rip up her saxophone on the brand-spanking new tune, Be Brave. While your at it, check out The Strange Boys cover Joe Williams' Baby Please Don't Go.
2. Taylor from Baby Guts has another project going, Teenage Moods.
Throw in a Strange Boys opening slot on the Spoon/Deerhunter tour, and I guess all hope is not lost.
Plus, here are two videos from Baby Guts' last gig, via their myspace:
- Woke Up This Morning, Got Yourself a Gun
- The Pack AD Never Stop Being Awesome
- RIP JD Salinger
- The Traveling Wilburys Ain't Nothing To Fuck Wit
- Califone Live Footage and Sundance Info
- Bob Dylan, Live And In Charge
- Ode to Conan: Take a Walk on the Wild Side
- Live ATP NYC AND Live Jesus Lizard Recordings
- The Office UK Version IS Funny
- White Mice Explode Every Eardrum in America
- Baby Guts and Mika Miko Break-Up, Strange Boys Tou...
- Patti Smith in Creem Magazine
- Buddyhead is a Cool Place, Check Out the Interview...
- J Mascis is Bored
- Chunklet Thank You For Being The Best
- Charles Barkley Is Alicia Keys
- Purchase of the Week: Electrelane "Axes"
- One, Two, Three: Death Sucks!
- Obsess Much? I Love Paul's Boutique
- No Bunny - Boneyard
- More Live Footage from KEXP!!!
- The Thermals Live @ KEXP
- Connecting the Dots: The Vaselines to Nirvana
- 2009 Sucked, Blue Cheer Are Still Awesome
- Default Posting: Jersey Shore News
- Where Did I Go?
- ▼ January (27)